The “State of the Port 2019” presented by John F. Reinhart, CEO and Executive Director of the Virginia Port Authority at the recent meeting of the Virginia Maritime Central Chapter was an exciting update. Below is a quick overview and a link to the update. This was an excellent presentation of the growth of the ports in Virginia and the positive effects on our economy.
Here are a few takeaways for RMT (Richmond Marine Terminals):
- FY-2016 – 16,347 containers moved on the barge.
- FY- 2019- Projection of 34,229 will be moving on the barge. More than doubled from 3 years ago.
- This will mean 34,229 trucks will be taken off the highway.
- Second Barge is in Service for Daily Sailings
- Container Staging drop lot will be completed by August of 2019. ( reduce potential for on-port demurrage)
- 37 businesses announced they were locating or expanding their businesses in VA.
Link to the full presentation: